I had a length of black silk velvet tucked away in a suitcase for a long time. Years, probably.
I finally cut into it and sewed it up into this wintry dress - and its already been worn to two parties. I used the same pattern as this I did for this dress, and employed leftover fabric from that same project to create bias trim around the sleeves and neckline.
I also sewed an interior casing and threaded more of the contrast fabric through, so it can be worn loose or pulled tight. It's fun to have an idea of something to wear, then to recreate it from bits and pieces I already have lying around - though of course that's also justification for my endless cache of craft supplies.
Not sure if I'd boldly make a similar garment again, because the difficulty of photographing the dress was matched only by the difficulty of sewing the slippery fabric together...