New curtains have been on the 'to-make' list for a while and this weekend I finally managed to complete a set for the living room. There are the most amazing big old windows in here; curved, heavy wooden sash-style (our house was built in 1912 I think) and they look out over our suburb and across to the sea.
I'd been putting off the job, mostly because of the scale of it and not knowing which fabric, curved curtain tracks to choose, etc. In the end I found a huge bolt of botanical-print cotton fabric that looks like a bit like linen and suits the wallpaper, etc. I lined the curtains in cream cotton (if you know old Wellington houses and our weather you might be recommending I add wool blankets to the lining in winter.)
Tom helped me plan, measure, cut, press and pin the seemingly countless fabric panels we needed for these. I really thought the job would never end. I'm so glad he helped me.
He even matched up the botanical pattern on each fabric panel by pressing and hand-stitching the pieces in place before I machine-stitched them together. We had to look up an old curtain-making guidebook for that inside knowledge.