I was in the market for some new bedding lately- mainly a new duvet and cover and new pillows. Even though there are plenty of shops that stock that kind of thing in our town, I couldn't seem to find 'exactly' what I was looking for- which was a plain, 100% cotton white duvet cover and so I decided to make my own. Of course. And then, when i had seriously large amounts of white fabric laid out on the living room floor, and a few small children dancing and jumping on it, I immediately regretted that decision.
To complicate things, I gave myself the added challenge of making the duvet cover from a set of new sheets (I figured that would be simpler than sewing together strips of fabric yardage.) But when I unpacked the sheet set, I realised that one of them was elasticated and fitted. So I cut off the elastic and did a patchwork job on the corners and sides. I also made the pale green pillowcases from some nice thick homespun cotton in my stash. There is a good tutorial for making them here.
So it all worked out in the end, and now we have a nice new duvet cover that does up with vintage shell buttons. Even if Tom, my friends, and possibly you, too, think I'm slightly mad for wanting to make everything.