I've been slowly working on this dress over the last couple of weeks - it's a Colette design called 'Chantilly' (I got my pattern from here) and I thought it would be a good challenge for my dressmaking skills, not having ever sewn with chiffon or silk before.
The fabric I used was a kind of chiffon/crepe and the dress is fully lined in cream rayon/silk (I almost love the lining more than the outer- it's drapey and heavy.) It's possible that this design is not the best for my body type, namely my lack of any real bust. Sigh. I thought the drapey front part might disguise this sad fact, but it doesn't, really. My plan is to make another version of this pattern but perhaps in black, and use the smallest pattern size for the bodice. I'm thinking of this first try as a happy experiment.
Well, I was right about it being a challenge (I didn't enjoy working with such a disobediant fabric) but I'm now a convert to Colette patterns and am feeling motivated to try my hand at making more vintage-inspired clothing. It was satisfying to work on a garment slowly- just a couple of steps each evening- and I feel as though I learned a lot from the pattern. Each step was explained clearly and logically, and I love the way each piece/panel is detailed and fitted.
Hope you have a happy weekend.