And then, I found this checked fabric at one of my flea market adventures in Oslo- I think it's a linen/cotton mix, and quite old because of its narrower width. Dark red and navy on cream.
The pattern is model D from this book, again. I'm pleased with the pattern- but if I were to change anything, I'd make it a bit longer next time. I forgot to add extra length when I was cutting the fabric- and the shirt is a little on the short side (I'm around 5 ft 7").
It was quite simple to make, but rather slow, because I decided to hand-stitch the bias binding around the gathered neckline and sleeves. But I think it's nice to spend a bit longer on something you're going to be really pleased with in the end. I never used to be that way- maybe I'm growing up!